Skip to main content

The Profession of Graphic Design

 

  • Describe who you are as an artist, designer, student? What you are focusing on in your field of study? What are people going to read on this blog?

    I am a writer by trade, but I dream in pictures. After graduating with a B.A. in Creative Writing, I kept feeling that tugging in my brain telling me that there was something else. Growing up, I had always wanted to design things. School buses, bedrooms, logos, websites (I have too many of those)...anything you can think of, and more. Silly thing is, I never took the time to understand the principles of design, to use illustrator...until now!

    My prior experience with photoshop, cinematography, photography, and some design knowledge, has allowed me to sustain some sort of portfolio, but it causes me to wince when I forward it to someone, especially job potentials. That is why I am taking graphic design. I hope to improve and expand my portfolio beyond words and home-baked graphics––to prove that I understand design and the marketing behind it.
  • What are your thoughts on blogging? How can it be useful in the business world?

    I have had 1001 failed blogs, and counting! I love to blog. Mine never last too long, but the ones that do are so fun to write. It's not only a great exercise for your fingers, but also for your mind. Writing is something I'm very passionate about (will I ever shush?), because it's a way to allow your mind to explore itself. This allows you create new ideas as you're forced to carry on the narrative of thought.

    What's better than a writer (or blog) with a thousand words? Those words separated between complimenting imagery. Imagery that isn't just pretty, but something that explains and moves the story along. In the business world, being able to create your own graphics/imagery and writing copy is the power couple to success in the online world.

  • Have you ever had a blog? Do you blog on any other platform?

    Absolutely, as mentioned before, I have had a million and one blogs. Did I say less? I truly lost count. In my teen years, not too long ago...I promise, I had started a few Blogger blogs in attempt to force myself to write more. Turns out I didn't have a lot to say when I wasn't traveling around (that's all I thought about at the time), so then I made a new blog for a new trip...and well, you can see it got a bit out of hand.

    When I started getting a bit older and a only a little bit wiser, I created my longest blog on Wordpress. I tried monthly post challenges, posting my creative writing... It was pretty neat! I think Wordpress is my favorite blogging channel, except that it's expensive beyond the needs of a creative output. During my Wordpress phase, I was having an affair with Wix, because they had all the fun bells and whistles. Even before HTML5 and their improved blogging system. 

    However, I still don't think Wix is appropriate for word vomiters, and thus I'm kind of excited to start writing on Blogger again. Went full circle, didn't we!?



  • What are your goals with this class blog other than writing your project critiques?

    So far, my idea for this blog includes some minor updates of my other classes this semester. I think it would be really cool to have this page to fall back on. (After I redesign it 99 more times!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elements and Principles of Design

     The science behind the art of design is accredited to six elements and six principles. The six main elements (or visual traits) of design are; line, color, shape, texture, size/scale, and direction. Whereas the principles of design–the message created by the used element–are as follows: proximity, balance, alignment, repetition, contrast, and space. The principles of design, however, are not limited to these. Your principles may depend on style or practice.     So, why do elements and principles matter? If you're venting anger or calming your chi, it might not. However, if you're looking to create captivating visuals, understanding some of the core traits will help you to convey your message or story successfully. You don't want a crowded mess now, do you? Well, actually, you might...if you know how to do it tastefully!     Once you've got a pretty good grasp on some principles or elements or elephants, it'll be your ticket to success! No matter who you are, a

Final Project: Mailer for MOCA

Our final project in Graphic Design class was to draft, design, and finalize a postcard call to action for MOCA's virtual hangout sessions.  As easy as the task may sound, I was hit by roadblocks so simple, I'm not even sure how I finished. Stuck at the drawing board, I took the instructions too literally. Trying to fit all the text in, not realizing I could omit what I wanted... it was a busy mess! Thankfully, a class and a bit later, I decide to go back to what I know about design, what we've been taught, and find a middle ground between those and my artistic flair..... It came out pretty sucky. I think if I had the same amount of time with the knowledge that I didn't have to think as much as I did, I would have been much more successful. One challenge I faced was not so much in the technicalities of design (of while I'm sure I also need work on,) but rather, in my skills of the app. InDesign is much unlike Illustrator. Though they may have similar features, it

Colorful Concepts

     Color is crucial to design. The absence of it is as well, but maybe we'll get into that later.  It is what makes something recognizable and pleasing to the eye. In the world of art, it documents history; eg. bright, bold colors may represent the 50s Pop Art movement. However, business takes art–I mean graphic design, to a whole other science. Quality design is make or break for businesses these days. This is because most businesses rely on their online presence... and who wants to spend their time on a busy site or trust someone with a sketchy logo? Not me!     Color is symbolism. Blue symbolizes a bright sky for some and sadness for others. Ah! Good question–– what kind of blue?  Well, that's where a graphic designer comes in. They're going to know what color tells the story, what shade sets the mood... On a landing page, maybe you want your social media links to be highlighted. A graphic designer will pick brand-appropriate colors to bring the links to a consumer'