Skip to main content

What is Graphic Design?

    Graphic Design is what I call the "science of arts". A graphic designer is a manipulator of creativity, turning it into money. Combining CAD skills, fine art, typography...it's no wonder graphic designers are in such high demand!

    With high demands, come high costs. Graphic designers, depending on area of focus, can earn well over $40k a year, and that's entry level at best! If you're a graphic designer with three or more year's of experience, you should expect (and don't accept less than) over $90k a year.


    What's even greater than a great salary (that appreciates, trust me), are the concentrations you can focus on. For example, graphic designers have skills that fit into the roles of say, UX Design, web design, marketing/advertising, and even production design! Gee, with that many options, there's no telling what you could do.


    Maybe this is more of an opinion rather than a fact, but it baffled me to be reminded of the many skillsets graphic designers have to hone and master to honor the title. There are so many aspects to design alone, adding knowledge of marketing, UX, and other platforms/mediums is absolutely insane! 


    I am currently a content creator, and I have a B.A. in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. A few years after college, the dreams of graphic design comes clouding over me with the realization that I have time to dive in, and get a chance to up my ante in the business world. Creating content with clever words and driven design. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Profession of Graphic Design

  Describe who you are as an artist, designer, student? What you are focusing on in your field of study? What are people going to read on this blog?      I am a writer by trade, but I dream in pictures. After graduating with a B.A. in Creative Writing, I kept feeling that tugging in my brain telling me that there was something else. Growing up, I had always wanted to design things. School buses, bedrooms, logos, websites (I have too many of those)...anything you can think of, and more. Silly thing is, I never took the time to understand the principles of design, to use illustrator... until now!      My prior experience with photoshop, cinematography, photography, and some design knowledge, has allowed me to sustain some sort of portfolio, but it causes me to wince when I forward it to someone, especially job potentials. That is why I am taking graphic design. I hope to improve and expand my portfolio beyond words and home-baked graphics––to prove that I understand design and the market

Elements and Principles of Design

     The science behind the art of design is accredited to six elements and six principles. The six main elements (or visual traits) of design are; line, color, shape, texture, size/scale, and direction. Whereas the principles of design–the message created by the used element–are as follows: proximity, balance, alignment, repetition, contrast, and space. The principles of design, however, are not limited to these. Your principles may depend on style or practice.     So, why do elements and principles matter? If you're venting anger or calming your chi, it might not. However, if you're looking to create captivating visuals, understanding some of the core traits will help you to convey your message or story successfully. You don't want a crowded mess now, do you? Well, actually, you might...if you know how to do it tastefully!     Once you've got a pretty good grasp on some principles or elements or elephants, it'll be your ticket to success! No matter who you are, a

Colorful Concepts

     Color is crucial to design. The absence of it is as well, but maybe we'll get into that later.  It is what makes something recognizable and pleasing to the eye. In the world of art, it documents history; eg. bright, bold colors may represent the 50s Pop Art movement. However, business takes art–I mean graphic design, to a whole other science. Quality design is make or break for businesses these days. This is because most businesses rely on their online presence... and who wants to spend their time on a busy site or trust someone with a sketchy logo? Not me!     Color is symbolism. Blue symbolizes a bright sky for some and sadness for others. Ah! Good question–– what kind of blue?  Well, that's where a graphic designer comes in. They're going to know what color tells the story, what shade sets the mood... On a landing page, maybe you want your social media links to be highlighted. A graphic designer will pick brand-appropriate colors to bring the links to a consumer'